Saturday, January 15, 2011

New Year, New Quilt, New Challenges

I am working on a quilt using the pattern called Sawtooth Star. A very simple star is formed in the block, with the corner squares being in a light color. When I copied the fabric in the catalog, and duplicated it many times to have enough paper representation of the fabric to make a dummy block, I was very pleased with the block. When I sewed the first block and hung it on my design wall, I could see that the edges of the star were often lost because of the large white spaces in the packed roses. I had three choices - to have a disappearing star (which is very "in" in some quilting circles, but which I don't like), to purchase other fabric, or to alter the rose fabric. Liking the third choice best (remember, it's still cold outside), I got out my Polycolor pencils, and began coloring each little square that will make a flying geese. Eureka, it works - and I can do it while I sit at my ease, using my lap desk and thinking about other things at the same time. Now I can't finish sorting out the stacks of filing I still need to do (my usual New Year's job), but it will make some busy work for some time, and should result in a more beautiful quilt. There is always a solution of some sort to the problem, even if it's one that results in a little more work. (This was supposed to be a fast quilt.) Wish me luck. These are the same two blocks - the top one untouched, and the one below, the colored one. Quite a difference.

3 comments:

Ann said...

WOW!!!! This sounds like a perfect January project. And what beautiful results.

Judy said...

How many yards can you do? We want enough to make it count since you can create that kind of miracle! Good problem solution that I think could also be applied to other things in life.

Elizabeth said...

There are 200 2-1/2" squares that have to be modified. Never say that I'm not thrifty. I just could have gone and bought a different fabric to add to the stash. As an addendum to your thought about application beyond fabric. It would be nice to color over some aspects of our past, and even our present - is that called repentance?