Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Gardens and the Katsura Tree

Twenty-seven years ago, we were looking for a small tree to plant in the mini-garden that was seen from the operatories in Ron's dental office in Tumwater. The nurseryman assured him that the ceracydum japonicum, katsura tree, would stay very small and be suited for that garden. After a couple of years, the tree began to look like more than small, so he dug it up, and we found a place for it on Tumwater hill. While we were back in Olympia-Tumwater, we drove by our former home, and there was the katsura tree in all it's glory - probably between 25 and 30 feet high. But it is a very beautiful tree! At the foot of it is one of my birthday presents, a beautiful red Japanese maple. Time does bring many changes.

2 comments:

Ann said...

Heart tugs for familiar places? Size seems to be interpreted in many different ways.

Judy said...

I guess that I was talking with you on the phone when I first saw this post. Now I need to write what I said. Your garden on Tumwater Hill was a master piece and it is encouraging that the current owners value and care for what you started. It is beautiful.