Sunday, August 4, 2013

Sunflower Time

Several years ago, I planted two rows of sunflowers at the back of the garden, including all sorts of varieties - one was even chocolate colored.  This one was one of those plants.  However, at the end of the year, when Ron had to take them out, he ended up having to chop some of them.  He maintained that they were like a forest of trees, and asked me to never again do this kind of gardening.  Ever since then, we have chopped out any volunteers that came - there were none last summer.  (Must have known that it would be a rough year.)  However, this year, what happened?  Lo, and behold, the whole garden was inundated with small sunflower plants.  I manfully removed most of them, but asked to have three plants left.  They have remained a cheery bunch on the back row, towering over the rest of the garden,   Now, as we drive to Logan, we see scads of sunflowers along the road - the kind that I used to lop off with my willow switch when I went to get the cows so many years ago.  Summertime!

2 comments:

Judy said...

Love your sunflowers. During their bloom season, I always wish I had planted some, but every spring I fail to do so. So glad that you had a persistent stray.

Ann said...

What a happy treasure. I suspect the birds are keeping an eye on their progress.