Saturday, March 14, 2009

Creating a One Block Wonder Quilt

Making this quilt was a lot of fun. I began with the geranium fabric at the top of this posting. Carefully cutting and stacking the fabric to cause the repeats to come in exactly the same places, I made a stack of eight like fabrics, then cut strips to further cut triangles and squares that create the octagons and the squares. No two blocks are alike! Plotting placement on a big design wall, and taking a while to get what I felt was the best design took a while, but the results are very satisfying. Each patch truly looks like the wonderful pictures we would get in the old kaleidoscope. The quilt is still not quite finished - it needs a little more border work, and, of course, the final quilting and binding. Size of the quilt at present is 51" x 56"

4 comments:

Louise Blood said...

That is a work of art! Beyond anything I could ever do. I couldn't imagine it in my mind so it's nice to see the picture, but can't wait to see it for real.

Ann said...

What fun!

Judy said...

Your organizing skills have created a beauty.

John, Mandy and more said...

It's simply beautiful, Grandma! The design is amazing - now I know where my mom gets her mathematician side :-)