Monday, August 2, 2010

Town Square

This quilt came about because of peer pressure. Judy can talk me into almost anything! A few years ago, she called and told me that she had found the perfect quilt to make, and that I needed to buy a book by Vicki Garnas, a quilt designer. Portions of this quilt were on the cover, and it was enough to hook me - Oh, yes, Ann bit, too. Many books languish on the shelf until the right time comes along to get into production. This has been such a cold, lingering winter, that it was time! However, there is a moral to this quilt - I did the binding during the Olympics - not good! I'll have to take it off and start again. Also, I used muslin for the borders to paint on, and find that it frays terribly - so, the quilt will be a little smaller when I re-finish the edges. Otherwise, I had a lot of fun making this quilt. I still have to find some kind of glue to stick down the part of the buttons that wants to move when hung upside down. (The wreath, the clock in the school on the bottom, etc.) And, you can click on the pictures to enlarge them.
A few months later.... I've redone the binding, as per Ann, took all the shanks off the wonderful buttons and glued them in place, touched up a few more places, added a few more button embellishments and a few crystals for snow. This quilt is based on the pattern "Town Squared" from the book "Fast-and Fun Stenciled Quilts", copyright 1999 by Vicki Garnas. Permission granted by Martingale and Company.

3 comments:

Judy said...

Your quilt holds the very charm that caught our attention in the first place. I love how it turned out. This is one case when an idea became wonderful reality. I want to move to this little town. Very nice, Elizabeth. How do you plan to use it?

Ann said...

Gluing the buttons really does make a good difference. Love it!

Elizabeth said...

Judy, who knows? The quilt will go on the table for a while, after it goes to a coupe of quilt shows this fall. And glueing (gluing?) the buttons really does make a big difference.