Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Christmas and the Tree

The tree is up! This one is artificial, and is supposed to be self-lit. However, the attrition in the lights began a few years ago, and each year, less lights would come on, necessitating the stringing of more lights, making the lights already on the tree look a little ridiculous and unlit, but who cares? The tree is alight and semi-decorated. Sometimes it seems silly to have such a big tree when there is only Ron and myself to enjoy it, but the house would look empty without it at this time of year. I cannot recall a time when there wasn't a tree of some sort to celebrate Christmas. The year that Dwight got married, and Mother and I went to Salt Lake, we went on to Provo to pick up Louise, then turned around and drove all the way home across South Pass. We had to stop in Basin for gas, and there was a tiny tree sales place, where Mother purchased a tree for $1.00. When I was back in Laramie, going to school, the children and I made ornaments out of salt dough. I still have a couple of those in the box. The little acorn birdhouses are Ron's wood-turned contribution to the tree. Santa came from Rothenburg a.t., purchased in 1996, when we went to stay with Dorothy and Ken, and traveled all over. This little angel, singing "Silent Night", and sitting on a star is part of a collection I acquired in 1976-78 at the Christmas ornament factory and sales on the Army post in Bamberg. The apple candle holders with bows are also dating back to 1976 The gold ornaments were part of a collection that we acquired in the 1980's, and the wooden silhouette of the nativity came from Israel in 1993. One of my teacher friends said that Christmas trees should be full of surprises. When I open the stored ornaments each year, I am reminded of the many Christmas times past, both poignant and happy.

2 comments:

Julia said...

Beautiful! thanks for sharing your christmasy house! And - I hope you are feeling better.

Judy said...

Christmas does it for us again.....Putting up your tree really was for more than just you and Ron. We enjoyed it too. Keep getting better.