Wednesday, May 27, 2009

South Pass in May

The trip over South Pass, Wyoming always elicits memories of past crossings - South Pass in the winter and snow, the beauty of the greener grass in June when the reds in the mountains look more vivid, and driving it in windstorms. We saw lots of pronghorn antelope as we approached the pass. Also, there are the thoughts about all of those pioneers who went over South Pass because it offered the least resistance to their wagons. It never seemed very much like a pass to me, but it is lower than the surrounding mountains. There were still patches of snow at the top during the third week of May, but they're probably all melted by now.

4 comments:

Dwight said...

Yes but the east face of the pass going down (or up) is one of the most awesome sights in Wyoming, and a bit unnerving to those not suspecting it!

Judy said...

Sacred Ground.

Ann said...

These pictures bring back other memories of South Pass, like the Thanksgiving when I was riding home with Louis Johnson and Dan Lowe. A snowstorm stranded us on top of the Pass, and we spent Wednesday night sleeping on the floor in the tar papered shack/bar that somehow withstood the winds and the storms. The tow truck came the next morning and pulled the car out of the snowbank and we headed on home in time for a late Thanksgiving dinner.
And then there was the year when Dad, Mom and I were headed home from Judy's wedding and we rescued a young family who was stranded at the top of the Pass.
The colors across the Pass in the fall are so beautiful. The Pass is truly an awesome looking place.

jennywren said...

I agree that this is sacred ground, these states that had the first "passes" always remind me of what our loved ones endured forging the way for us. It always humbles me, when ever I'm having a hard time in my life that I really am blessed...and come from strong stock! I can get through anything.