Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Weed or Food?


The plant shown above in my scientific photographs is a nasty, obnoxious, take-over-the-garden plant called purslane.  Research shows us that this weed can be eaten; that it's particularly good in salads, and has several vitamins and good ingredients.  Unfortunately, my raised vegetable garden beds came equipped this spring with so much purslane that it looked like carpets, and I've had to slowly weed through to find the beets, carrots, tomatoes, etc.  I may be done by next week, and then I'll have to start all over again, because that's the nature of the beast.  If a small bit of root, or a small cutting of the plant is left on/in the soil, it grows.  I don't know if this gift came via the wind, the compost from the open compost pile, or just from heaven.  The plant is so hardy, it will grow anywhere.  I read where people in the Mediterranean areas plant it for food.  They must plant the more cultivated seeds, because I can't imagine anyone planting this weed on purpose.  We spent a couple of hours watching the early English history on PBS last night - as pertaining to ordinary people in an ordinary village.  It was so interesting; one of the things I learned was that the kitchen garden was planned so that at the back, certain weeds were allowed to grow, because they could be counted on for nutrition during times when food was scant.  I just cannot imagine eating this nasty weed, but I guess that if I were starving, I might look more kindly upon it.  In the meantime, it's war in my garden!

3 comments:

Ann said...

You need some chickens!

Elizabeth said...

Would they eat the beets and carrots, too?

Ann said...

I'll bet you can teach them not to. I have heard they will work on zucchini, and they love lettuce. Grasshoppers seem to be a delicacy, but not as good as raisins.