Wednesday, October 2, 2013

This 'n That

Fall came with a bang - first a light frost in mid-September, then a light snow on Dorothy's birthday, the 24th.  (Snowed in Riverton, Wyoming on the day that she was born, too.)  Then we had rain, rain, clouds, rain, with a bit of sunshine dotted in between.  Yesterday was glorious, so what did we do?  Took the new iMac and its external hard drive to Logan for a technician to figure out why I keep getting a warning sign about not properly ejecting the hard drive when the computer goes to sleep.  We didn't have much else to do, so we went downtown to the book stores.  The last one we went to was the used book store, called "Books of Yesteryear".  The store used to be quite well organized, with computer inventory for the thousands and thousands of books, which they also sold on the internet.  However, a bank is taking over the building, so the book store must go.  And, the basement, which used to have many books in it, had to be emptied.  So books were carried upstairs and put in piles all over the floor in inconvenient places.  The place was a nightmare.  Every one who cherishes and buys lots of books should go to that store.  I've heard of people being cured of desiring certain foods by eating too much - this store now makes me feel like I want to give books away, not acquire new ones.
Anyway, to make a long story short, we finally went back to the Apple store, after almost 3 hours, to find out that the problem is not solved.  I think I will treat it like the little highlighted sign on our car dashboard, which has had diagnostic work several times, but still shows up.  Just a wasted 5 hours on a glorious day.  Do you say, "That's life in the computer world?"

A new computer always presents a challenge.  This one operates on Wi-fi.  After I set it up, I could receive e-mail, and had access to the internet, but couldn't send e-mails.  I was all geared up for a long and lengthy round of phone calls - first to the internet provider who tried to solve the problem for over an hour, then to the Apple technician, who tried for about an hour and a half, and then back to the internet people.  Finally, after wasting big-time hours, I reached a technician who was familiar with the Mac, and could tell me in a few concise steps where my settings were incorrect, and voila - success.  Now I can get down to the business that the computer is intended for - as soon as I get a new program for genealogy.  There is always some new learning curve to experience in this computer world.

2 comments:

Ann said...

Hooray! Now you are back in touch. How is the transformation of your art room into your computer room going?

Julia said...

Congratulations Elizabeth! Glad you got what you need.