Thursday, May 22, 2014

Story Quilt or Memory Quilt?

 This was the first step - First plan (draw) my quilt on a piece of newsprint, then transfer that design to clear vinyl.  The parts of the quilt were also traced onto freezer paper.  Ironing the freezer paper templates to the fabric of choice makes life a lot easier.  The sky is divided(cut) into three parts, with the painted fabric on top, and a lighter print used behind the cuts.  The quilt foundation is a piece of thin batting, pinned to my design wall.  The next step was to paint a piece for the sky - It's a little too dark, but since this is my first time to do this, I figured I'd be content with the results.  then, I cut the bottom pieces from the lighter fabric, and placed it under the cuts so that it made the design more interesting.
 The plastic overlay is lowered so that I can place each piece in the proper place.  This is a detail with the first hills and greenery.
 Ditto.
 I've come quite a way - the color in the above picture isn't true because of the light in the room.
I took the lower picture by natural light from the window, and the colors are more true.
My biggest decision at this point is whether or not I'll want to leave the white borders on, or cut them off, or border the pictures with a thin black border.  So, sisters, dear, I await your helps with this decision.  Be sure to click on these to enlarge so that you can see what I'm talking about.  (At this stage, only the hills and fields are secured permanently to the backing.)

No comments: