Saturday, November 22, 2008

A Tumbler Quilt for Astrea Nyx

The traditional pattern for this quilt is called "Tumblers", and usually it is a charm quilt, with every tumbler-shaped piece being of a different color/pattern. Tradition says that you may have two blocks of the same fabric, and the puzzle is to find the twins.
Jennifer chose this pattern for her new grandchild-to-be when she was here in September, and we had fun raiding my stash of batiks to find a combination we both liked. I've done a bit of tweaking, but, essentially, the colors stayed as we originally chose them. My photography technique isn't great, because it looks like the thin light inner border is crooked - doesn't look like it on the quilt, but we'll let it go. The moral to the story is: If you really want a baby quilt, come to my house, and you can choose your pattern, fabrics, etc. :-) (Suzanne gets the next one, and she did choose her pattern.)

3 comments:

Ann said...

Did you do the quilting on this quilt? What a pretty mix of colors. Awesome!

Elizabeth said...

No - I fudged - my friend, Sue Baddley did this one in bubbles.

jennywren said...

This quilt is a work of art!! I am going to make a poster out of it, maybe wrapping paper, wall paper and maybe a whole line of bedding. Everyone that has seen it is speachless. I told Elizabeth a story of how Cheryl snuck it out of the house to show some people at work. Her 1st stop was the executive staff meeting (at DOC in WA)and someone saw it in the sack and that was the topic for 1/2 an hour. The men seemed to be the most blown away. Elden, the Sec. of DOC, had it spread out in the middle of the confrence table and all 15 people were ohhing and ahhing (sp?)over it. Eldon was the most impressed and wanted to take it home to show his wife. A no-no, but she can come to the house. He was so genunionly impressed at all of it. The workmenship and talent, the care and creativity, the colors and fabric. They couldn't believe that each one of those little peices were separate at one time. I tell you, he and they went on for a long time. Also several of them wanted to know how much a king size would cost. I'm surprised it wasn't in the State's monthly newsletter.
Also, I can see I am going to have to get better at my spelling.
Thank you Elizabeth, I know you know how I feel. Now you know how the rest of the state feels. xxoo