Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Jen and Sophie

Everyone has one (two if they are lucky) pets in their life time that you seem to know heart to heart. Sophie was from the Pound and had already had at least 3 litters when I got her about 17 yrs ago. So I'm not sure how old she was, but these pictures were taken the day before I had to let her go. She looks pretty good for being over 90 (in people yrs) and having cancer. She lived a great life, really at least 12 great lives, but she always found her way back home no matter what shape she was in. The Vet even teared up when he had to put her to sleep. That was a few months ago. She trusted me, enough to put up with a variety of other cats and dogs parading through the house and our lives. From the carpenter's dog to the addition of 9 week old brother kittens, a "foster" abused dog and a sweet Chihuahua (yes sweet!?) of Grandma's. The one short story I will tell is about the "brothers". Sophie had already been around for about 6 years and here comes 2 little rowdy "twin" boy kittens. She must have known they would grow to be at least 3 times her size, because from the very beginning every once in a while, one would walk by her and out of the blue she would give them a "backhand" for no reason. They, Vincent or Oliver, would get up and sort of shake their heads-what just happened? what did I do? She didn't hurt them and had no front claws, it was just a waump. Till the day she died they knew who was boss and treated her with the respect they should have. Wise, I believe. The last night I turned on the fire so she could go to sleep in front of it. First Oliver, then Vincent came over and laid down and slept by her. Very sweet to see. And not so short of a story... By the way, Rani was the other beloved pet, a sweet, smart dog. I think that's my allotment. When I left home Rani of course stayed with Dad, she had already worked her magic on him. Dad and Elizabeth have some pretty funny stories of life with her too. I'm sure many of you have heard. So I guess we have pretty good pet Karma. Sophie was well worth sharing all this with you all. I know you have your stories and I would love to hear. Love, Jenny

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Nice comments on the part pets play in our lives.

jennywren said...

Sorry it was so short. But, Isn't Sophie beautiful on her very last day. You would never know. I know I have Rani chasing bubbles here too, I'll scan it when I find it. She was such a good one too.