Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Crocus Applique

A few years ago, Eleanor Burns, the marvelous quilting guru who tosses unneeded bits of fabric over her shoulder, published a wonderful book on baskets of flower quilts in 1999. It was based on patterns and a story that was published in 1928 and 1929. I fell in love with the patterns, purchased the book, and some of the fabric (a floral stripe) that she designed and there both sat on the shelf. I finally decided that this spring would be the time to begin this project. I found that all I had left of the fabric I purchased that went with the quilt was the floral stripe and some basket fabric. However, it has been fun to make all of the baskets, applique the handles, and then make the applique pieces. I decided to make the three-dimensional flowers and hand applique them. So far, it has been fun to leisurely enjoy each step of this project - no end in sight, just relishing the journey. Now that I have a few blocks finished, I can hang them on my design wall, and enjoy looking at them, while envisioning the finished quilt - sometime.
Be sure to enlarge the picture.

1 comment:

Judy said...

I remember that book! And now you are making those pages into a reality. That block is charming and I really like it.