Saturday, July 31, 2010

This Quilt is a Mystery -

This was a mystery quilt that our guild began in June. The teacher got permission to use a pattern called "Radio Flyer" as a mystery quilt, using quotes from Sherlock Holmes' mysteries. We had a great time beginning this top - it has taken me this long to finish it. I call it my "Better finished than perfect" quilt top. It was made from a bunch of scraps and small pieces that I had on hand - I didn't purchase one piece of fabric to make this top. I was surprised that it turned out to be red, white, and blue, with a little pale yellow. I just found pieces that were dark and light - and it seemed to work into a color scheme. Fun quilt to do. First we sewed two blocks that looked almost like a snowball block, then put darks and lights together, and sewed two seams down the middle - after cutting, we had the blocks shown here - joined together, there is a pinwheel or an hourglass block composed of triangles.

3 comments:

John, Mandy and more said...

It's gorgeous, Grandma! I especially love that you didn't purchase a piece of fabric for it - so resourceful. I recently made a little quilt (beginner kind that you tie with yarn) and was inspired by the works of art at your house. It's a hard talent!

Elizabeth said...

Thanks, Mandy - Quilting is not hard - you just find the part that gives you the greatest satisfaction!

Judy said...

If you didn't buy ONE piece of fabric new for this quilt, it didn't cost you anything, right? Look at all of the pieces....very nice.