Monday, August 8, 2011

Bowls from Odds and Ends, Strips and Strings

For some years, I pre-washed my quilting fabric, and regardless of following various tips such as "clip the corners", etc, I found that when the fabric came out of the washer and/or dryer, there were still strings that were tangled and had to be clipped. I have been aware for years that interesting bowls and other forms could be made from these throw-aways. I sewed the first bowl (top two pictures), trying to remember what I had read about the process, and then searched online for instructions, which helped simplify making the second bowl. I first measured the bottom of a smooth bowl to determine the size I needed, and with the first bowl, I improvised a circle on the Solvy before stitching through all layers. After finding the directions, I found that cutting a preliminary large circle to go underneath the Super Solvy to be a guide for the size of the string, thread, and snippings creation. I used a temporary adhesive spray to affix the conglomeration to the Solvy, and then sewed wavy lines back and forth. Then you wash out most of the Solvy under running water, leaving enough to be goopy, and form the sewn creation over the bottom of the original bowl. A spray with clear Krylon will protect the bowl. The first and last pictures are my last bowl, and the middle pictures are of the first bowl. Pretty nice to create something out of stuff that usually ends up in the wastebasket. Be sure to enlarge.

4 comments:

Ann said...

What fun!

Judy said...

Waste not, want not, never had better results than this.

Elizabeth said...

You two are my fan club. Thank you for reading my blog. ;-)

Judy said...

Thanks for giving us something to read. Ann is going to get her blog going too.