Saturday, August 6, 2011

Supports for my flowers

Many times I have looked longingly at the fancy, expensive supports for individual tall flowers that the gardening catalogues carry. My oral hints have not affected Ron until I told him that I was going to order some, since they are now on an end-of-season sale. I know that wooden dowels are a short-term solution for my tall lilies that grow in front of the porch because even when I paint them, the part that is in the soil will disintegrate after a time. These particular lilies are in the shade until mid-afternoon, so they are always leaning westward, reaching for the sun. My creative husband left in the van, and, after visiting the metalworks on the west end of Preston, came home with rebar cut into appropriate length. Total cost of enough supports for my beautiful lilies and penstemon, $16. Cost of supports for two plants from the catalogue, $14.95 plus shipping. I do believe we are ahead of the game on this one, thanks to Ron, who loves to solve problems like this one. (More lily pictures tomorrow.)
P.S. Be sure to enlarge the photos so that you can see how well the rebar works. I used the green gardener's wonder tape that works a bit like velcro, but doesn't bite into the stems and sticks to itself.

2 comments:

Judy said...

Very smart! No decay here.

Ann said...

Keep going! Soon you can write a book on "here's whatcha' do".