Sunday, August 14, 2011

More of the giant Lily

When Breck's sent the original advertisement for this lily, I lumped it with the ones for giant strawberries, tomatoes, etc. However, after letting the brochure lie around the house for a while, I decided that I couldn't lose anything by trying, so I purchased two bulbs, to be panted in the fall. Sure enough, just as promised, the first year, one stalk came up, and bore one lily. Last year, the stalk was a little higher and a little thicker. This year, this plant is a prize winner. It's partner, in another flower bed, didn't grow so tall, but it's coming. Trying to count the blossoms at the top of this one sturdy stalk is a challenge, and the fragrance is very vivid. So, last fall, I planted some partners. One is red - that picture has already been posted, one is the same as this one, and one is a pure yellow, edged with white. My lily bed is coming, making things more beautiful around here.

3 comments:

Dwight said...

Awesome!

Judy said...

You got your money's worth!

Ann said...

And your photo does a good job of telling the story. They are even more beautiful when you get to see them up close and for real.