Monday, November 7, 2011

Quilt from a Jelly Roll

This is a hurry-up quilt made for a dear friend who underwent a mastectomy last Monday morning. Finding out you have cancer has to require a difficult adjustment, but the move to positive outcome is very important. I had a jelly roll (for the uninitiated, that is a roll of fabrics cut to 2-1/2" . You can make many different kids of quilts out of them, but the easiest is to miter the adjoining strips, vary them a little bit, and sew them together. I really did a hurry-up job, but hopefully, the quilt police will look at my motives and forgive me. The quilting was simple - I did curves in every other row, hoping that would hold everything together. And I free-handed feathers in the border. Some were great, some were so-so, and some very sub-par, but the important thing is, the quilt was made with love, and is backed with soft flannel so that it will be cozy for the next few months. (The binding was really slap-dash. I sewed the first seam on the back, turned it over to the front, added steam-a-seam tape underneath, fused it, and sewed it down with a decorative stitch. I finally caught on to the technique by the third side, but I'll never do it again that way.) My friend was very happy to get her quilt.

2 comments:

Ann said...

And you got it done - and it will keep your friend warm and cozy on blue and/or cold days. What a thoughtful thing to do.

Judy said...

There is something about doing a quilt for a specific purpose.....your friend will remember that when facing days ahead.