Friday, July 26, 2013

Location Where History Took Place

I recently read an article about blogging, and the suggestion was to take one interesting picture every day, post it and write something about it.  Sounded like a good idea.  I took this less-than spectacular shot on the way to Idaho Falls on Wednesday.  This place is about 18 miles north of Preston, just past Swan Lake.  The significance of this place is that this is where Lake Bonneville broke through and rushed on to Snake River.  As you drive up the valley from Salt Lake, and again from Logan to Preston, you can see the line part-way up on the foothills where the lake had risen to.  Look for it when you drive by.  This monument at the top of the steps tells more about this momentous happening.  Being in the way of the great rush of water that occurred would have been very dangerous!

p.s.  Louise left a comment, and I accidentally put it into Penrose Mornings - which I now can't eliminate.  However, here it is:  "I have always been intrigued with the immensity that Lake Bonneville must have been. I would get my 4th graders to try to picture it. I like your picture, I don't believe I had known about the monument. thank you for in informative little tid-bit. great idea."

No comments: