Monday, September 14, 2009

Paul Thode's Windsor Chair

This was my birthday present a few years ago. Ron was attending the annual Woodturner's Symposium at BYU at the end of May, and he came home (Dwight's and Velna's house in Orem, so that tells you that it was a while ago!) saying that he wanted me to pick out a birthday present from the gallery of woodturnings that the international teachers were showing. When we reached the door of the gallery, he said, "Come with me" and lead me to this chair. The price made me gasp, but it is an exquisite treasure. So the chair became my birthday present, and sits on a side table, holding a seated Boyd's bear. Much to our delight, the last copy of American Woodturner's magazine has an article on Paul Thode, and we found that he is now 90 years old and still making lovely miniature reproductions of classic furniture. (And, at the last woodturner's symposium that Ron was able to attend ((two years ago)), we found that the price was about 3 times the original price, so not only did we buy something beautiful and enjoyable, but, unlike real estate, it has appreciated in value. I've heard that you should not buy collectible art because you hope it will become more valuable over time, but it's nice when that happens.

No comments: