Tuesday, September 15, 2009

University of Wyoming, Vice President Cheney and Seth

Sonja forwarded these pictures and Seth's comments to us. This must have been quite an experience. In reading this, though, it makes me sad because we are in such an era of incivility.
" Here are some of the highlight photos of the event. It was the naming of the Cheney International Center. Cheney himself donated 3.5 million to the school, most of it went into this. It was very neat. Myself and a couple girls from my honors English class (teacher let us out early) were the only students to shake his hand. It was funny because I was the only one who would walk in front of the media reporters and get nearer. You'll notice in the photos that I continued to move closer. There was a HUGE crowd. Most of the crowd consisted of protesters - who by the way were VERY rude. They kept yelling throughout his speech - it was very annoying. Mr. Cheney looked really relieved to see a few students come up to him that weren't yelling at him. Again, everyone else left. The only other people who got up to shake hands with him were reporters and other adults. I was the first person to shake his hand - I just trotted right up there in front of everyone. I told him "Thank you for defending the Free world", and then he asked for my name and where I was from. I didn't realize how small the guy is. Anyway, it was awesome. I thought I had a picture of me shaking his hand, but I guess the person I asked to take the pictures was a little fuzzy on how to run the camera - but oh well, I've got a picture of us talking. Very cool - I'm glad I skipped class for it and I'm glad I wasn't afraid to walk right on up there.Also, the newspaper was asking for my name, my hometown, and my major - I guess they were interested because I ran up there so fast and I was one of the only students who wasn't there to protest. Boy that was cool.

1 comment:

jennywren said...

This really show what a great missionary Seth will make. People are people and treated with respect without judgement shows so much more about Seth then anyone else who was there. Seth seems like a very confident yet humble man. We need more of those in this world. Proud momment for Mom too!!