Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Garden Planted - And Then the Rains Came

After pounding deluges last evening and through the night, clouds still reign in the sky, along with the fog rising from the draw where the Cub River comes down from the mountains to eventually join the Bear. Humidity level is definitely up!
Our garden has shrunk in size and purpose. The beans will grow up the bean pole, and the walls o' water protect the melons - but one decided to die, and I won't take the time to fill it. This will be a (non) scientific experiment to see which watermelon thrives the most, the protected or the unprotected.
Ron kindly built me three boxes so that I could play with the square foot gardening. We always plant way too much in the rows in our gardens of old, so this year, urged on by sister Ann, I've arranged things so that we won't be so innundated. Already the work level is much less stressful (after the boxes were built.) We still have a mountain of wonderful compost - it's been used to help mix the soil for the boxes, boost the soil in the pots and earth boxes around the house, and give the roses, perennials, and annuals in the flower beds a big boost. There is nothing like compost! I took these pictures from the patio this morning - too lazy to get my clogs so that I could walk across the wet grass to the garden. The next ones I take will be when things have grown and look wonderful - hope springs eternal!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like rough weather. We're planting potatoes and other things for the first time this year. ;)
I look forward to seeing your garden grow. :)

Dwight said...

Holy cow, what perfection. I just stuck our few plants in our tiny available space in the hard, clay soil with a dab of compost and its up to them to grow. I couldn't build a square foot garden box if I tried to, although I do have a circular saw which my wife gave me 25 years ago, thinking I may want to saw the heck out of something some day. Said day has not yet arised. Now I feel sadly inferior.

Jen said...

Glad you got your garden done! Those boxes are great. Hopefully most of spring storms are over. It's been pouring everywhere we are!

Ann said...

Impressive! The only other suggestion I have is to raise the boxes next year so you don't have to bend over to pull a radish or check the progress on other plants. Experiments are fun.