Tuesday, June 16, 2009

More Spring Posies

Who has not been charmed by violas? The bright little faces, just like pansies, which are larger, bring lots of cheer to the spring (summer, too?) garden. They scatter themselves around the flower beds, coming up in very unexpected places, including cracks in the sidewalk. (You'll incur my ire if you step on that crack!) The first year we lived in Preston, I was in Logan hunting for plants to liven up the flower beds, and picked up a little pot of violas. A lady came up to me to ask my why I wanted to plant them in my garden - she considered them weeds and had just spent time tearing them out of her garden.
These bright coral bells look so fragile, but they are truly long lasting. If you enlarge this picture, you can see the violas hiding behind them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

REally - I'm gonna take pics of my garden and download them :)
Lovely pix. I have the purple Coral Bells w/white flowers. It's funny what peeps consider weeds huh?
My Mom has some "Red Hot Poker" - it's a bulb type plant and someone renting her house thot they were sea grass - NO don't pull that out!
Did you hear about the woman who went to the garden store and said that she had a rose and it wasn't doing too well - she told him she was cutting off all the purple growth - NO that's the new plant. :) What can you say?
God bless you and once again - I LOVE your pic of the clouds at the top.

Kemp and Sonja said...

Love the yellow violas!

jennywren said...

People in Oly say the same thing about poppys up here, I know Dad loves them so I got more from Andrea and am babying them. I wont even bring up my ivy...